Nice Waves of November

Nice Waves of November
North Shore Spray

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Two by Two

I stepped out the back door today and heard some spring crows cawing in the distance. You can hear better in the early spring because there are no leaves on the trees except for the dead oak leaves that will fall off as soon as the new growth start. The snow that is left on the ground that is melting during the forty degree days, freezes during the twenty degree nights. So the snow is a perfect sounding board.
Hearing the crows caused me to pause, and then I could hear a brace of geese softly squawking to each other as they glided by, seeing and avoiding me.
As I went down the road I saw a pair of long necked turkey vultures gliding and occasionally flapping their wings in perfect unison.
A cup of coffee made the morning complete.
And then a drake and hen mallard flew by.
The waterfowl are back, and the buzzards are finding the remains of the winter damage.
Life begins again today.
I saw a deer as big as a cow this afternoon. It was sneaking across the highway 300 yards in front of my car, acting as though it thought I did not see it. The sun is setting later, so of course I did.

Could not see the antlers, but, it was a gray old thing.

Later

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Spring is really almost here!! A bit chilly, but nice enough to go for a half-hour walk today at Rum River Park, temp about 40 degrees. I thought I heard some robins....didn't see any critters, though. Yesterday, I heard the distinct cry of the sand cranes, kinda like nails on a blackboard, raucous and noisy, but another signal of the season's change.

gianna said...

Dad, You and Andrew write so similarily! It's weird to be reading and suddenly realizing that I'm not reading Andrew's blog but yours! I'm glad you are back on your blog post.